Wednesday 7 March 2007

City of Angels


The gym I work out at recently have become a part of Fitness First. Of course a lot of changes came with it, some good and some not so good. One of these changes is that I can hire DVD’s for free. You have to turn them back in after 2 days. This way it will motivate their members to go to gym every 2 days. I like this idea, and I like them to think “with” the customers. Same like the free fruit. I sometimes forget about my daily vitamins, but when I see a basket full of fruit in front of me every few days, it will be hard to neglect it.

So, recently I decided to re-watch City of Angels. I remember the first time I saw it I found it a little slow paced. But back then I was still a impatient teen, and probably had no good intuition and sense to interpret the movie in the right way. Although I did remember that I still liked the movie in some way. Not to mention that I really love the song "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Which is of course one of the songs on the original soundtrack of this movie.

(The following text might contain some spoilers)
For those who’ve never seen City of Angels, it is a movie about an angel called Seth (Nicolas Cage) who gradually falls in love with a doctor Maggie (Meg Ryan). Maggie is able to see Seth only when he wants her to see him, and of course she has no idea that he is an angel, neither does she believe in such existence. She has to face life and death every single day yet she doesn’t believe in heaven, nor can perceive such thing. Seth actually has the answer to all her doubts and questions. And he present these in his own way. Not really with words, or something you can perceive directly, but just with his presence, and he seems to give her the feeling that she’s know him for a long time.
Seth doesn’t have the gift to feel hunger, pain, or to touch people. Only humans are able to do so. Of course this all wouldn’t enhance his possible relationship with Maggie.
Eventually Seth realise that he can choose to become human. As he choose to become a fallen angel, but in turn he has to give up all he has known, and give up his existence as an angel.

Maggie dies in the end of the movie, while Seth already gave up his existence as an angel, but the time they had together was a very short period of time. Still Seth insisted that he rather be able to touch her just once, than never been able to do so.

Even though Maggie and Seth are divided by death, I tend to think that their love is eternal. Since Maggie, will always be in Seth’s heart, and he never regretted that he give up his divine existence in return for his very short time with Maggie.
Ok, it might not really befit me to act so sentimental, but this all seems a little touching to me. Especially the fact that Seth is willing to give up so much for just a moment, and the fact that he never regretted that he give up everything for just that one moment in life somehow touches right into my heart. I’m not fully aware if I would ever be able to do so, but I really do feel Seth, but too be really honest I haven’t really found my Maggie yet. Actually recently I thought so, but it turns out not the way I wanted to be.

C'est la vie… being able to be together, means being able to be apart, but most importantly is that there were times of being together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh.. i've never watched this movie before but your review makes me wanna watch it. it seems to be so touching. shall be adding this to the collection of movies i plan to watch over the hols. *_*

sultanah